Pumpkins, mums, fall colors, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are everywhere you look these days. With all of 100+ degree weather around here, it is hard for me to think about fall. Don’t get me wrong, I am ready for cooler weather and comfort food! To embrace the upcoming fall season, I am sharing how to make the creamiest chicken and dumplings recipe for comfort in any season.
I have to brag on Jay for this one. He worked and worked on this recipe until he finally got it perfected. I am not sure how many times he has made chicken and dumplings over the last year or so, tweaking the recipe each time. The last element that really made it perfect for me was when he used frozen biscuits for the dumplings.
He tried several different things for the dumplings, and he had settled on canned biscuits. We had some leftover frozen biscuits from vacation that thawed out on us, so he decided to make chicken and dumplings with them instead of letting them go to waste. That was the key! They really made the broth creamier than any we have had, and the flavor was so much better.
Creamiest Chicken and Dumplings
- Saute the onions in olive oil until they are soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until they turn white. Do not overcook, because they will cook in the broth later. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a Dutch oven (I love the enameled cast iron Dutch ovens.) add the butter, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Cook on medium heat until the butter is melted, and the mixture comes to a boil. If you need more broth, add the extra chicken broth during this process.
- Add the chicken and onions to the broth.
- Add the pieces of biscuits, one at a time.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered. Stir frequently to keep them from sticking.
- Watch for the dumplings to start sinking. This is a good sign that they are done.
- Serve and enjoy!
Other Additions for Chicken and Dumplings:
- Bacon, Cooked and Chopped into Pieces
- Diced Carrots
- Diced Celery
Even though this is the perfect comfort food for cooler weather, trust me, it is great year round. We actually had it in the heat of summer, and I am planning to have it again soon. I hope you will try this recipe and let me know how you like it.
On a side note, if you don't use bowl cozies, you are missing out! You can purchase them through Amazon with this link, but the best ones are homemade! If you are local and want information for these, send me a message. This beautiful one in the picture was given to me as a gift from a friend and made by another friend - it is special!
Related Chicken Recipes
Unique Fall Idea
Michelle with Vintage Home Designs shared such a unique party idea for all the football fans out there. See her post, “How To Create a Football Tailgate Party Tablescape.”
Hopefully these hot days of summer will be cooling off soon. Enjoy each season and the comfort food that goes along with them!
Until next week…
Have a Grace & Joy-Filled Day!
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19