As you can probably guess from many of the recipes I share, Jay enjoys experimenting in the kitchen and coming up with delicious but easy meals. During the week, he gets home earlier than I do, so when we have our monthly church potluck, he does the cooking. This month he put common ingredients together for a great recipe. Keep reading to see the quick and easy recipe for Jay’s Tamale Casserole. It is perfect for the whole family.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the corn husks and place the tamales in the dish, lined up, touching.
- Spread the sour cream, Rotel tomatoes, and a layer of cheese on top of the tamales, then top with chili.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, covered with foil.
- During the last 10 minutes of the cooking time, add another layer of cheese to the top of the casserole and return to the oven uncovered. Bake 10 more minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
Serve Tamale Casserole With:
- Tortilla Chips
- A little sour cream on top of each serving
- Refried Beans
- Black Beans
- Fresh Roasted Salsa
- Whole Kernel or Creamed Corn
- Guacamole or Avocados
Other Ingredients and Options:
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fresh or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, diced
- Chopped Green Onions
- Black Olives
- Chopped Green Chiles
- Pico de Gallo
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- Any favorite taco toppings
- You could use Red Enchilada Sauce instead of chili.
- Mix in a packet of taco seasoning with the sour cream before spreading it on the tamales.
Using actual tamales makes this a very simple recipe, and it has lots of flavor. It is great for potlucks, and it travels well. It was a crowd pleaser; almost the entire casserole was gone at the end of the night.
We serve Mexican food at one of the events we host at Christmas time, and it always consists of tamales. I see this being an easy way to enjoy more time with our family, because we can have it prepared and ready in advance.
The next time you have potlucks, holidays, or just busy weeknights, try this quick and easy tamale casserole. It is sure to be a family favorite.
Please join me as I send out other quick and easy recipes as well as weekly devotionals. I would love to have you join me.
Until next time,
Have a Grace and Joy-Filled Week!
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19