Eternal Gifts for the Ones We Love
I can’t think of a better graduation gift for those you love most than something with eternal value! I have been working on graduation gifts for my granddaughters since they were little. I am finished with one, close on the second, and about to start the third.
Several years ago, I heard someone on the radio sharing what they were doing for their grandchildren when they graduated from high school. They were reading through a Bible and making notes for them in the margins, then they would present it to them at graduation. I loved the idea, so I bought Bibles for the girls.
What you will need:
- Get a Bible that is an easy to read version but true to the original context. You don’t want it to be too difficult to understand and apply to their lives, but you want it to be accurate. I have the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I wish the ones I have had a little more information, but at the time, this was what I found. There are many to choose from, but here is a Bible that is the same version as mine but with more features. https://amzn.to/38LOBkK
- A fine tip pen works best for writing on the pages. These are the pens I like to use, but any fine point will work –
Thoughts about the process:
- Each morning when I have my quiet time with the Lord, I use the Bible I am trying to complete. I also take the Bible to church or any Bible studies I attend.
- I pray each time I sit down to read His Word that He will show me what this specific grandchild will need to apply to their life, at the time when they will read it.
- I work on one Bible at a time (in order from the oldest grandchild to the youngest) and complete it before starting another one.
- I choose one Old Testament and one New Testament book to finish before moving onto the next.
- Each time I finish a book of the Bible, I put the date next to that book in the Table of Contents.
These are some of the things I have learned:
- Each girl has a different personality, and the Lord gives me thoughts directed for each one specifically.
- He will even give me thoughts about current things going on in their lives.
- He speaks to me personally through the Words on the page as well.
As I mentioned in the beginning, this gift is one with eternal value. If you are ever looking for reasons to read the Bible, read Psalm 119. This is the longest chapter in the Bible, so I will highlight a few reasons mentioned.
- 1 – Those who live by His Word are happy.
- 9 – His Word will help you stay pure.
- 11 – It will keep you from sinning.
- 24 – It will guide you.
- 25 – It is encouraging and life-giving.
- 26 – It strengthens and carries you in times of grief.
- 49 – It gives you hope.
- 50 – It is comfort in your affliction.
- 66 – It teaches good judgment and discernment.
- 98 – It makes you wise.
- 99 – It gives you insight.
- 100 – It gives you understanding.
- 105 – It lights your path and keeps you from stumbling.
- 114 – It is your shelter and shield – your protection.
- 155 – It leads you to salvation.
- 165 – It brings abundant peace.
Who wouldn’t want these things for the ones they love most? I pray we would all experience these eternal benefits and share them with the ones we love!
Have a Grace & Joy-filled Day!
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19