A Simple Recipe for Smothered Hamburger Steak
I love simple recipes that don’t take a lot of time or thought – the kind you just throw together. This simple recipe for Smothered Hamburger Steak is just that, and it is delicious.
I am not really sure where I saw this recipe, probably some cooking show many years ago. We adapted it to our family’s tastes, and you can do the same.
Smothered Hamburger Steak
1/2 Onion, Sliced or Diced
Butter, about 1/2 a Stick
Texas Toast with Cheese (Frozen Section)
Swiss Cheese, Sliced
Seasoning Salt and Pepper
- Form hamburger patties, and season them well – Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a deep skillet or pan.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, and seasoning. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. They will reduce in size.
- Grill or pan fry the hamburger patties. Jay usually grills them outside so there is no mess in the kitchen.
- Bake the Texas Toast according to the package directions.
- Texas Toast goes on the bottom.
- The hamburger patty is next.
- Top with Swiss Cheese.
- “Smother” it with lots of the Mushrooms/Onions.
Adaptations for Smothered Hamburger Steak
Your choices are only limited by your imagination! There are so many ways to change this simple recipe to meet your family’s likes and needs. Here are a few ideas:
- Use turkey burgers.
- Top with Cheddar, Provolone, or American cheese instead of Swiss.
- Omit the onions.
- Add garlic or jalapenos.
- Pour a jar of brown gravy into the mushrooms.
- Use garlic toast.
However you decide to adapt this recipe, I hope you enjoy it. I would love to hear what you do with this simple recipe for Smothered Hamburger Steak. Please share!
If you have enjoyed this post and have not signed up for our email, I would love for you to join us! This will allow you to receive the posts directly to your email. The sign-up is below.
Here is a link to another of my favorite thrown together meals – Cilantro Lime Chicken Bowl.
Until next week…
Have a Grace & Joy-Filled Day!
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19