Applesauce Gelatin Squares – A Refreshing Jello Dish for Summer
When we were growing up, my mom used to make a Jello dish that was creamy and had different layers in it. I still have the parfait dishes she used to serve it in, but no one seems to remember the recipe. As I was looking for something similar, I found Applesauce Gelatin Squares – a refreshing Jello dish for summer, and I gave it a shot.
I really liked the dish and thought it was perfect for summer. It is light and refreshing – perfect for a hot day. I do want to caution you though, if you don’t like applesauce, this may not be your favorite dessert. If you like applesauce, you will probably find it as delicious as I do.
Applesauce Gelatin Squares
- 2 Pkgs. (.6 oz.) Jello, whatever flavor you like. I used raspberry, and you can see how bright the color turned out to be. You can also use sugar-free if you want.
- 1 Jar (46 oz.) Unsweetened Applesauce
- 4 Cups of Boiling Water
- 2 Cups of Cold Water
In a bowl, dissolve the gelatin in boiling water and stir well. Stir in the cold water and the applesauce and make sure it is mixed well. Pour the mixture into a lightly sprayed 13X9 glass baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Cut into squares and serve. You can top the squares with whipped cream and/or fruit.
(This recipe came from an old recipe book I have called, 5-Ingredient Cookbook by Taste of Home. I couldn’t find the same exact cookbook, but they have a new version. If you are interested in these easy 5 ingredient recipes, you can find the cookbook here.)
Tips for Applesauce Gelatin Squares:
- Top the squares with whipped cream or fruit.
- Change it up by changing the flavor of Jello you use.
- Use a deep 13X9 baking dish – Mine is pretty deep (2 in.), and the mixture was at the top of the dish. I really like the one in the link; it is 3 inches deep.
- If your dish is pretty full, place it on a cooking sheet to catch any spills as it goes into the refrigerator.
If you are looking for a different kind of summer dessert, I hope you will try this one. These Applesauce Gelatin Squares are refreshing and very easy to make. I hope your family loves them. If you happen to know of a 3 layer creamy Jello dessert from the 1970s, please feel free to share it with me. It was one of my favorites!
If you have enjoyed this post and have not signed up for our email, I would love for you to join us! This will allow you to receive the posts directly to your email. The sign-up is below.
Here is a link to another great summer recipe – Ice Cream Cake.
Until next week…
Have a Grace & Joy-Filled Day!
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19