Saturday Morning Life Applications (Vol. 73)
As we finished reading the Book of Joshua last week, there was a common message, “Choices – we all have to make them.”
This week’s post has a different look to it than the Saturday posts in the past. As I mentioned last week, I am kind of combining my Friday and Saturday posts now. Saturdays will be more of the Life Applications, but there will be times I will still share a Saturday Morning Devotional. I am trying to let the Lord lead in this instead of me.
Thinking back over our time in the Book of Joshua, there were so many life applications and lessons in those scriptures. Let’s take a look at some of the verses in this week’s readings, and see how we can personally apply them to our lives.
Life Applications for the Week
When you think about it, many weeks we find lessons with common themes. This week there are many references to our success and the choices we make.
“So Joshua asked the Israelites, ‘How long will you delay going out to take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your ancestors gave you?” Joshua 18:3
- Imagine giving someone a wonderful gift, and they never bother to go get it. Disheartening!
- Why do we put off or sabotage our own success?
- Why don’t we take hold of God’s promises?
- Why are we satisfied living a status quo life when He has offered us abundant life?
- Misguided Priorities
- Many other reasons!
What choices are you making?
“So the Lord gave Israel all the land He had sworn to give their ancestors, and they took possession of it and settled there… Everything was fulfilled.” Joshua 20:43-45
- The Lord had given the land to their ancestors also. The difference was that they didn’t take possession of it and settle there because of fear. Instead, they ended up wandering in the desert for 40 years and missing out on the opportunity.
- Has the Lord given you something you need to take possession of and “settle there?”
- Seek Him for guidance, and take the gifts He gives you.
Seek Him and make the right choices.
“If you ever turn away and become loyal to the rest of these nations remaining among you, and… know for certain that the Lord your God will not continue to drive these nations out before you. They will become a snare and a trap for you…”
- We have a choice in our actions – Follow the Lord or man.
- We also have a choice of consequences – Blessings or Negative Consequences.
- Think it through and choose the consequences before you take the action.
It is all about choices!
These verses were a testimony of the Lord. He shared with them all the things He had done for them while they were on their journey.
- I am sure that when they were in the middle of the situations where fear, sadness, grief, and even anger set in, they may not have fully felt His presence. That doesn’t mean He wasn’t right there though.
- Looking back, they could see that He was with them all along – paving the way, fighting their battles, and providing for their needs.
- I feel like we do the very same thing; when we go through the hard times, we may wonder where He is.
- We may not fully see everything until we are on the other side of the situation, but trust Him in the process. He is with us!
Make the choice to trust Him in the hard times!
Life Applications in Bible Study
Please join us as we read the Word each week. Please share your insights on the scriptures as well.
Since Joshua has come to an end, I am going back to the New Testament and starting on I Corinthians. I would love for you to join me!
Life Applications Resources
If you have joined me recently, these daily life applications from the Bible are examples of some of the comments I am writing in the Bibles I am giving to my grandchildren when they graduate from high school. Click here to see the post where I explain this eternal gift idea. I want to give them all the resources I can to use in today’s world!
I hope these life applications from the Book of Joshua help you in some aspect of life. Please share any encouragement and lessons you have learned this week as you read the Word of God. I would love to hear your thoughts. And remember, Choices, we all have to make them!
Until next week…
“He stores up success for the upright; He is a shield for those who live with integrity.” Proverbs 2:7