Saturday Morning Devotional
Success Principles Found in Genesis 24
Many times when we think of success, we relate it to money. While money can definitely be linked to success, there are some other areas of success that are more powerful than money. As I read the Bible this week, I couldn’t help but notice all of the success principles found in Genesis chapter 24.
Success Principles for Missions and Tasks
In this chapter, Abraham had given his servant the task of finding his son Isaac a wife. Abraham knew the importance of choosing the right wife, so he gave the servant very specific instructions.
Genesis Chapter 24
Receiving The Mission
Verse 5-6 “The servant said to him, ‘Suppose the woman is unwilling to follow me to this land? Should I have your son go back to the land you came from?’
Abraham answered him, ‘Make sure you don’t take my son back there.’”
- Once the Lord leads you where He wants you, don’t go back just because it is familiar or convenient!
Verse 7 “The Lord, the God of Heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from my native land, Who spoke to me and swore to me, ‘I will give this land to your offspring’ – He will send His angel before you, and you can take a wife for my son from there.”
- There are blessings in following the Lord in obedience.
- When the Lord gives us a task, He will go before us and prepare the way.
Verse 8 “If the woman is unwilling to follow you, then you are free from this oath to me, but don’t let my son go back there.”
- If she was unwilling to go with them, she probably wasn’t the one the Lord had chosen.
- Don’t try to force situations to fit what you want.
Verses 12 “‘Lord, God of my master Abraham,’ he prayed, ‘make this happen for me today, and show kindness to my master Abraham.’”
- Seek Him and His will for all your decisions, even your relationships.
Verse 14 “Let the girl to whom I say, ‘Please lower your water jug so that I may drink,’ and who responds, ‘Drink, and I’ll water your camels also’ – let her be the one you have appointed for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.”
- He asked for a big sign to make sure he chose the right girl – the very one that the Lord had appointed to be Isaac’s wife.
- It was so important to him that he got it right, that he was very bold in his prayer. He didn’t take this task lightly.
Verse 20-21 “… She drew water for all his camels while the man silently watched her to see whether or not the Lord had made his journey a success.”
- Although the Lord gave him the huge sign he asked for, he was still cautious in making his decision. He took his responsibility seriously and wanted to make sure he was making the right decision.
An Accurate Response to Success
Verses 26-27 “Then the man knelt low, worshiped the Lord, and said, ‘Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, Who has not withheld His kindness and faithfulness from my master. As for me, the Lord has led me on the journey to the house of my master’s relatives.’”
- The servant knew what Abraham believed, but now he knew Who he believed in and why.
- He gave the Lord the credit for his successful mission.
- When we follow the Lord and share in His success, it is a testimony to others around us.
Verse 33 “A meal was set before him, but he said, ‘I will not eat until I have said what I have to say.’”
- The servant had urgency and excitement in fulfilling his mission.
- Live with the same urgency and excitement.
Sharing His Success
Verse 40 “He said to me, ‘The Lord before Whom I have walked will send His angel with you and make your journey a success, …’”
- Abraham told him that the Lord would go before him in verse 7. Now he knew it was true.
Verse 42 “…I prayed, ‘if only You will make my journey successful!’”
- Pray daily that the Lord will make your journey, missions, and daily life successful.
Verse 48 “…the God of my master Abraham, Who guided me on the right way to take the granddaughter of my master’s brother for his son.”
- Let the Lord guide you in all your decisions.
- The Lord cares about the details of our lives.
- Success comes when we follow where the Lord leads us.
- When the Lord gives you success, give Him the credit and share your testimony.
Verse 50 “Laban and Bethuel answered, ‘This is from the Lord; we have no choice in the matter.’”
- Knowing what God’s will is and yet choosing your own way will only lead to a disaster in the long run.
Verse 56 “But he responded to them, ‘Do not delay me, since the Lord has made my journey a success…’”
- When the Lord makes the path clear, don’t delay – take action immediately!
Verse 67 “And Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah and took Rebekah to be his wife. Isaac loved her, and he was comforted after his mother’s death.”
- This was the end result. The mission was a total success!
- It is easy to keep reading and going on at this point. Don’t forget to look at your story and see the successes the Lord gives you.
I absolutely love this song! It is pretty new, and the lyrics are timely. Some of my favorite lyrics are:
“To live Your Truth,
Walk Your ways,
Set my eyes,
Lord I fix my face on you,
All my desires reversed,
To keep the First Thing first!”
Listen to “First things First” by Consumed by Fire.
Success Related Posts
The Bible is full of success principles. Here is another post full of scriptures and insights for success. Read, “Success Scriptures for the New Year.”
Whether you study the success principles found in Genesis or elsewhere in the Bible, you can find a wealth of insight and knowledge. Knowing the wisdom comes from the Lord should make us trust Him with all of our decisions. Join me in trying to listen for His leading and actually following what He says. Please feel free to share a testimony below!
Have a Grace & Joy-filled day!
Most Recent Posts
- Life Applications and Lessons in I Corinthians Chapters 8-11
- 3 Easy and Irresistible Cream Cheese Dessert Recipes
- I Corinthians 1-6: It All Comes Down to Being Foolish or Wise
- An Easy Sausage Strata Recipe
- Choices: We All Have to Make Them
disclosure: affiliate links are used on this page. Thank you for supporting Home with Grace and Joy. When you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
“When I am filled with cares, Your comfort brings me joy.” Psalms 94:19